Monday, March 4, 2013

Candle Making

I have been itching to make anything and everything that I usually buy!! If it is over-priced and I can make it, I want to! Candles, cleaning products, the possibilities are endless.

Today I want to share how I made my first homemade candles, but first lets talk about how much I am saving by doing this.  I love going to yankee candle and trying to justify spending $50 on 2 candles.  Here is what I spent to make 20 candles!  All ordered on Amazon.com:

10oz bag of soy wax flakes - $9.99
50 Candle Wicks - $8.99
Lavender & Beach Linen Scents - $15.98
Pouring Pot (optional) - 9.79
Mason Jars - FREE, I already owned, but you can get them at Target or Hobby Lobby

Grand Total: $44.72

That is $2.24 a candle, not $25 for a candle.  Yes it is a little more work than walking into the store and buying some candles, but it is a lot less work on your bank account!! 

Now for the tutorial:
(when I made my first two, I didn't receive the pouring pot in the mail yet so I just used a double burning and pyrex measuring cup.)  Also, I realized I didn't have a wooden spoon to use for this, so I used the end of a spatula to stir.

Set up candle jar on a trivet with candle wick in it.
(if it isn't standing up straight, don't worry we will fix it later)

Use double burning or pouring pot to melt the wax flakes

Stir while the wax is melting


Add scent to melted wax

If you used a double burning,  pour the melted wax into the pyrex measuring cup.  If you are using the pouring pot you can just poor the melted wax right into the mason jar.

I was having trouble keeping the wick up, so I used some chop sticks to hold it in place
while the wax dried ( I will be stocking up on chop sticks every time I eat sushi now!).

Once the wax has completely dried, you can decorate your new candle
however you wish!




Once I get all my candles decorated, I will share a picture later this week.  Hope you enjoyed and make some candles of your own!!

1 comment:

  1. These would make great gifts! I love that they are so cheap to make! were the scents you bought all natural, or no? I can't use synthetic fragrances because of my bird- I think essential oils would work, right?

    The flowers are such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete